Q: A little bit of white smoke comes from the motor when I get off the highway and come to a complete stop. It smells like burning oil.

Every time I get off the highway, some white smoke comes from the motor and smells like burning oil. It's not a lot of smoke but still a noticeable amount. My car has very low mileage for the age. I recently had my oil changed but it still continues to do so. No warning lights have come on my dash and all gauges are fine. But it still concerns me. What are the possibilities of the problem and what is the estimate to get it fixed price wise?

Hi there. It sounds like you may have an oil leak(s). The smoke and smell you are experiencing is the oil being burned off by the engine and exhaust heat. The source of the leak may be slightly difficult to pinpoint if it has been going on for a while and may require the experience of a qualified technician. Some of the possibilities are valve cover gaskets, cam seals, crank seals, rear main seal, and so on.

YourMechanic has several technicians that can assist you with an oil leak inspection, and service your valve cover, cam seal, or crank seal as necessary. Upon looking at the vehicle we can provide an accurate estimate and direction of repair.

• A little bit of white smoke comes from the motor when I get off the highway and come to a complete stop. It smells like burning oil.