Q: Oil leaking from back of motor.

asked by on June 23, 2017

I'm trying to isolate an oil leak. '98 Dakota (2wd-rear) V6 3.9L with A.C. oil is leaking from behind the engine above the tranny. Standing in front of the engine D-cap is to the right, sensor post is in the middle and the leak is just to the left of that, (passenger side). Could this be a rear seal going out. The leak stops when the truck is off.

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Grace. We answered the previous question for you, but in case you didn’t receive the message, here is what we sent. It’s quite possible that this is a rear oil seal or oil pan gasket that is leaking; or perhaps a transmission oil tube seal that is leaking. The problem with trying to diagnose an oil leak is that typically the oil tends to spray onto different components underneath or on top the vehicle. You might want to have a professional mechanic complete an oil leak inspection to help you locate the source of the leak and recommend the right repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr