Q: What will happen to my car if the rpm is high when idling?

I recently got my car fixed because the rpm was a bit high. I need to take it back to the mechanic because ever since I got it back, it's been worse. It can drive a block down the street without having to press the gas pedal, and it will get up to 35 mph before I reach the end of the block. I can hear how fast it sounds when it's in park, I was just wondering if it's safe to drive for a few days until I can take it back to get looked at again? It won't blow up or anything right?

If the "idle" speed is over 1,200 RPM, it’s not wise to drive the car both for safety reasons and due to the possibility of repeated harsh transmission engagements and driveline wear. The vehicle’s drivetrain was not designed to accommodate very high idle speeds. For a very brief period, you’ll be OK but if it is above 1,200 RPM the car should be fixed ASAP. YourMechanic is a mobile service and so you need not take the car anywhere to get it fixed.

If you desire that this problem be diagnosed and repaired by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a high idle diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. What will happen to my car if the rpm is high when idling?