Q: Check engine light is on. I took it to AutoZone and told me it is the code P0401. Is it safe to drive until next week?

Check engine light is on. I took it to AutoZone and told me it is the code P0401. Is it safe to drive until next week?

Hi There, Code P0401 relates to the EGR valve flow. When this code is triggered, the computer has detected that the flow is insufficient. Driving the car until next week will not cause any harm, although the vehicle may not run well. The EGR valve. allows the flow of exhaust gases into the intake manifold in controlled amounts. When you start the motor, the valve remains in a closed position, blocking the flow of exhaust gases. Once the engine reaches operating temperature and speed increases, the valve, either through vacuum or electronic control will gradually open, allowing burned exhaust gases to enter and combine with the air-fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber. When the EGR valve is clogged or dirty, as they are prone to, it may not function properly causing the engine to idle rough, stall at idle speeds, cause the car to get poor fuel mileage, or emit a strong smell of fuel due to excess hydrocarbons which also results in failing emissions tests. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Check engine light is on. I took it to AutoZone and told me it is the code P0401. Is it safe to drive until next week?