Q: Car overheats after city driving

asked by on August 19, 2016

My car has gone 220,000 miles. When the engine is warmed up after a lot of driving in the stop-and-go traffic, it starts overheating. Usually, I drive in the city, park the car for a while and then continue driving the same way. I took the car to a shop and they have checked a lot of things and cannot seem to find anything out of the ordinary. There are no leaks, the water pump works fine, the fans are working properly and the compression is good. What could be causing it to overheat?

There are many potential causes for your overheating concern. The engine gets hotter in stop and go traffic because air is not being forced into the radiator the way it is at higher speeds. Since you said the water pump and fans are OK, I would take a look at the thermostat. A thermostat that is stuck closed can cause engine overheating very quickly. A restricted radiator or internal engine leak could also be the problem. I suggest you get a second, professional opinion regarding your overheating concern. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.