Q: Engine light and limp-home light

I have a f-150 xlt triton not sure of the engine size it's a 2005 with 171,000 miles haven't had any problem with the lights coming on the dash but yesterday both the engine light and limp-home light came on and won't go off haven't had any problem with the transmission at all will check the fluid levels. How can I clear the engine light and limp-home alarm lights.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. When the vehicle’s check engine light and limp mode are both set off, there is a problem with the vehicle that needs to be addressed. You can easily clear the codes with a scan tool, however without the problem being addressed, they will simply come back on. Have the codes (which trigger the check engine light) read by a technician or at your local parts store. Use the to help you determine what is wrong with the vehicle. With no signs of issues from the transmission or engine, there is likely a sensor or electrical component that needs attention. This may mean it needs to be replaced, or that it is dirty and needs to be cleaned. Once the issue is resolved, the check engine lights will clear themselves eventually, if not right away (depending on when and how the computer runs its tests). For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.