Q: oil mysteriously low

I get all the scheduled maintenance and oil changes done on my vehicle. It isn't due for another oil change for at least 1,000 miles, but recently the oil change started flashing when I stepped on the brakes. When I checked the dipstick, it was 2 quarts low. There's no smoke when I drive it, and no dripping oil left on the ground where I park it. Doesn't burning oil usually show up as smoke out of my exhaust? Where might my oil be disappearing to?

This is an ongoing issue with almost all of the manufacturers of engines and the oil consumptions they are having problems with. The dealer can do an oil consumption test and tell you that this is normal if it is about 1 quart to every 1000 miles. You will need to monitor your oil level every 1000 miles from now on to see if you need to add oil and top it off.

The engine is using oil through the oil control rings of the pistons and a certain amount is considered normal. The dealer can tell you what they see as an acceptable amount for you specific vehicle. If you want a second opinion about this or need assistance with these checks, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose your low oil problem.