Q: Check engine light, loss of acceleration, 1 RMP even though stopped, speedometer gauge not working

asked by on April 04, 2016

In December we replaced the alternator & water pump. In February we replaced the radiator & brakes & heating and cooling fan in front of van. In March we replaced the transmission. So in the last couple of days we've felt what feels like the transmission kicking, like it did prior to being replaced. And today (4/4/2016) we felt a couple more kicks from the transmission (we assume). The power steering went out completely this afternoon. We took it in to have the oil changed and have all the liquids checked and the power steering flushed. On the way home, driving home the check engine light came on, lost most of the acceleration (could only get to about 30 MPH, felt very heavy and sluggish). Pulled into a parking lot and turned off the van, waited 20 minutes, turned the van back on and the problems were all still there. Can you please tell me what your best guess is as to what the problem is and how much this newest problem is going to cost my wallet?

Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Sounds like you have done a lot of work on your van recently. It sounds like your vehicle went into failsafe mode causing it to lose power. My suggestion is to have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, come and determine what has caused the Check Engine Light to come on and the vehicle to lose power. From there, they can make the needed repairs to get you on the road.

If you suspect that it is a transmission problem and want to save a diagnostic charge, then you can try to contact the place where you just had the transmission replaced and see if they will tow it to their shop to check the transmission out. However, there will probably be a fee associated with towing the vehicle.

It is likely the transmission or a speed sensor that is causing the issue. Something may have just came loose and just needs to be plugged back in. I would have a technician from YourMechanic can come to you since I do not recommend trying drive the vehicle further, as this may lead to further damage or the car braking down on the road.