Q: Owner had to replace five tires in 11 months

asked by on July 25, 2016

My car has around 43,000 miles. I has been necessary to replace five tires in 11 months due to their running flat. I purchased two Goodyear Excellence rof and 3 Dunlop SP Sport maxx GT. Bubbles developed in the sidewalls of three of the tires. I don't have any memory of an impact of any significance. There were two different times involving potholes where two of the tired deflated. This is a very dangerous condition, never knowing when I'm going to have a flat tire. Is there a solution to this problem for my car?

Hello there. The tire issue is not uncommon for your vehicle. The 550i uses tires and wheels with lower profile sidewalls. These increase traction and handling at the cost that they absorb impacts differently. Hitting a pothole or other rough surfaces of the road can cause tires to crack and break. The amount of tires you are going through seems a bit excessive though. Other possible causes would be the struts, springs, or control arms. I would have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your tire problem and advise you on a proper fix.