Q: Chrysler 3.8 L. T&C power steering rack and pump replacement.

asked by on October 11, 2016

I have a 2003 Chrysler town and country minivan 3.8 L. The mechanic install a new power steering pump 2 weeks ago $800- he did not change the Power steering reservoir, the steering was hard to turn, he said to drive it couple 100 miles to break it in- I towed it back to mechanic - now he says I needs a power steering rack and blew the new power steering pump! What should I do? I don't trust him- another $800 no way!

Power Steering Pump Pulley Replacement $106.15 - $597.41 Get a Quote

As you may know, the power steering rack pumps power steering fluid through a series of small reed valves that help to produce hydraulic pressure as the system is pressurized by the pump. This is what allows the power steering system to assist you in steering your car. When either the pump or the rack is not working properly, one or the other can sometimes over compensate for the other to a certain degree, but will eventually be overworked and fail. It sounds like this may have been the case in your situation. I would suggest having a second opinion on the previous mechanic’s work. If you’d like a professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or place of business to properly diagnose and repair your power steering system.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr