Q: Transmission oil cooler changing, does it involve a/c?

asked by on August 17, 2016

My mechanic tells me that my transmission oil cooler, and the two lines hooked to it are leaking. So i want them replaced, and he says that he's done research and he will have to do a full A/C service on it, because they are connected. The bill says A/C condenser/trans oil cooler $229.00. Does the A/C really need to be messed with or is he screwing me?

AC is not working Inspection $96.46 - $106.46 Get a Quote
Transmission Fluid Service $125.08 - $445.00 Get a Quote

The automatic transmission/power steering cooler is mounted in front of the A/C condenser. Only the front grill needs to be removed and the A/C should not need to be disturbed. Have another certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, verify the AC diagnosis and give you a second opinion for some peace of mind. The price of $229 does not sound like a bad price for the job. Make sure the correct transmission fluid for your vehicle is used. It takes a special fluid specifically for Chrysler/Jeep transmissions.