Q: My car won't go past 35mph

Hi. My car will not shift to third gear n it wont go pass 35-40 mph without the rpm going higher. I got a rebuilt tranny about 11 months ago n the car was running great for about 4 months. I went up a hill n stepped on the gas n sped up to 55 mph n then the problem came back that instant. I was unable to go into 3rd gear again n couldnt go pass 35-40 mph. The rpm would go higher but my speed didnt want to go faster. The oil meter would go higher when i stepped on the gas n would go back down when i let go. I had someone look at it n tried to find the problem but no progress. The head gaskets has been changed with new bolts, changed my spark plugs, flushed out my fuel system n put the car back together. It drives but it still will not go pass 35 mph. Sometimes when i put the car in drive it says nuetral. When i was on a hill one day the tranny fluid spilled out. Like something was loose.

A: Hi there. From the description you provided...

Hi there. From the description you provided, your vehicle has problems with the transmission again. You stated it will not shift into 3rd gear again, like before the transmission was rebuilt. If the transmission is again the problem, it should be covered under warranty. It could be a faulty shift solenoid. The shift indicator not reading properly could be a faulty transmission position sensor. If this is an overall lack of performance issue, according to your last statement, then possibly you have a restriction in the exhaust system. I recommend having your vehicle’s problems inspected and diagnosed by a certified technician from YourMechanic.