Loose emergency brake lever honda 2004 element brake syst...

Q: Loose emergency brake lever

asked by on October 24, 2016

I recently had my brakes and rotors replaced all around the car. After the work was done, I noticed my emergency brake lever that you pull up to set the brake feels alot looser than before I had work done. The light still comes on saying it is engaged, but pulling the lever up used to have tension. Now it does not. Should this be worrisome? Thanks!

Yes, this is a safety issue. This means the parking brake may be broken, installed incorrectly, or out of alignment. This also means the brake may not be working to its full potential, or at all. The parking brake lever is connected to the brakes through a cable. The cable may need to be adjusted. Exact procedures for adjusting this can be found in a repair manual. The cable may also be broken.

Its possible the person doing the repair did not hook the parking brake back up after the brakes were repaired. Or maybe hooked the brake up improperly. The shoes and springs need to be arranged in a very specific way. It is most likely that the previous technician did not assemble the brake correctly, or the cable needs to be adjusted. Both are relatively easy if you know what you are doing.

To avoid any unnecessary repais, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home to diagnose your brake system and help make the necessary repairs.