Q: Why does the gas pump cutoff before the tank is even 1/2 full?

asked by on November 19, 2016

Recently, when my tank is nearly empty, the gas pump behaves as if it is full after only 1 gallon or so. The fuel overflows if I try to continue too fast. Even at a slow rate I have to stop/start repeatedly to fill up.

Hi there:

When you have a hard time filling the fuel tank or the tank is frequently spilling like you’ve indicated, it’s commonly caused by a component that comprises the EVAP system; such as the EVAP vent solenoid. In most cases, when there is excessive pressure inside the tank which tends to cause these symptoms, it’s due to the EVAP system being damaged or faulty. You might want to have a professional mechanic complete a fuel tank inspection; which will allow them to determine the reason why you’re Hyundai is experiencing these issues.