Q: Turbo

My car is making a weird sound and jerking around 2000 RPM only been doing it a few times here recently it's a turbo car so I don't know if it is the turbo

A: Without hearing the sound, I can’t really g...

Without hearing the sound, I can’t really give you any sound advice. I can however give you a diagnostic path to follow. If you can recreate the sound while sitting still, then the first order of business is to locate the source of the sound. This is best done with a stethoscope that you can purchase from most auto parts stores. Once you locate the sound, you can go from there.

Some of the problems the 1.8l turbo has are as follows:

• Oil pressure problems. If the oil hasn’t been changed on a regular basis, this can lead to many problems for the motor. The largest being a build up of debris in the oil pan pick up tube followed by clogging of oil passages in the head. This will result in the cam eventually seizing. There is a chain at the rear of the head that has a tensioner that is vulnerable to this issue as well. If it is not getting oil, the chain and cams will rattle making a sound that is loud and a warning your motor is about to fail.

• Being a turbo motor, several of the exhaust shields can come loose and make very loud rattling sounds. These sounds will occur at specific RPM’s and load conditions.

• The timing belts don’t last to long after their scheduled maintenance period. If this maintenance is pushed to far, you can get several similar sounds to what the rear chain will do. Not to mention, if the timing belt breaks, major engine damage will occur.

These are the most common for your Passat. Remember, the main thing you should do first is locate the sound. If you need assistance in doing so, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can help pinpoint the noise you’re hearing and help you fix it accordingly.

Good luck!