Q: Car won't start even after a jump. Things turn on, engine cranks but won't start.

asked by on July 01, 2017

Originally I was driving then my radio shut off then my lights started to dim and dash gauges stopped working and suddenly car stopped working. I tried jumping my car, lights turn on and dash comes on when cable is attached, but when I crank the keys, it still won't start. I hear the engine trying to turn on, but won't fully start. Help please and thank you.

The problem sounds like the battery is too low to crank the engine and was most likely caused by the alternator not charging. You should have battery fully charged for at least 15 minutes and then see if it cranks over. You may need to replace battery and alternator. Have the system checked and replace these components as needed.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr