Q: MY CAR WILL NOT DRIVE FORWARD WHILE IN DRIVE.

asked by on February 17, 2017

CAR WILL NOT GO FORWARD IN OVERDRIVE BUT IT WILL GO BACKWARDS IN REVERSE AND DRIVE IN 1ST GEAR. IN OVERDRIVE IT JUST REVS THE ENGINE BUT DOESNT GO ANYWHERE. TRANSMISSION FLUID WAS LOW SO I FILLED IT AND NOW ITS A LITTLE HIGH BUT HAVING SAME PROBLEM.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. A low transmission fluid level means there is a leak somewhere in the system that needs to be addressed. With automatic transmissions, the coolant levels make the entire operation functional. With low fluid levels, the transmission can become damaged. Do you know how long you were driving the vehicle with low fluid levels? There may be damage inside that was caused by driving it with low levels. At this point, with how complicated automatic transmissions are, you should look to having it inspected by a technician or transmission specialist. If you are able to drain and check the fluid on your own, you can check the fluid pan for any signs of metal shavings or signs of mechanical failure, but even at that point, unless you are trained in transmissions, it is unlike you can make these types of repairs yourself. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Your vehicle is equipped with GM’s 4T65-E transmission which, once rebuilt with the upgrades that are now available is an absolutely outstanding transmission. Unfortunately, in all model years prior to 2003, if 4th (overdrive) has failed, that is typically due to the splines on the clutch hub shearing off. That was a very common problem up to the 2003 model year when GM starting equipping all 4T65-E from the factory with heat treated splines that solved what is a common problem. Given that issue and the other shift issues, you will probably have to have the transmission rebuilt. If you want a conclusive diagnostic, performed by a certified Mechanic dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a difficulty in shifting diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you are interested in a transmission replacement (OEM to OEM), YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can assist with that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.