Q: Why does my car shake when I break and why does it sound "old" in cold weather after warming up?

My car shakes when I break suddenly and slides instead of stopping like it should. It also slides sometimes in wintry weather when I break. It is an all wheel drive vehicle and has been fantastic until just a few months ago. Also, after warming up the car in freezing temperatures, it still sounds "old" like it is reluctantly going. It makes loud noises when it turns and accelerates, but when I had my husband drive it, it only made a slight noise at the beginning and nothing else. It doesn't always act up, just sometimes, mainly in cold weather. It is just shy of having 73,000 miles on it. I have had the brakes checks, replaced the cv axles, had the tires checked. The starter and alternator both tested fine. The battery is testing low, but I was told it should last a couple more months.

A: The hard starting in cold weather is almost...

The hard starting in cold weather is almost certainl due to a failing battery. A borderline battery can often be pushed over the edge by cold weather. As far as the braking issues is concerned, the most likely cause is worn brake rotors. Although you had the brakes checked, the shop may not have checked for excessive rotor runout, which is what would cause the vibration you're experiencing. Other potential causes include bad wheel bearings or worn steering/suspension parts. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect and repair these issues for you.