Q: My vans ESC off Light keeps coming on

Everytime i start my van the esc off light comes on with the check engine light. When i crank it for the first time it idles high and when the light comes on i cant drive more than 10 mph. I have to cut the car off then on again and rev the engine. What could be the problem?

A: Hello. The cause of the Check Engine Light ...

Hello. The cause of the Check Engine Light will likely also be the cause for the ESC light. If the engine computer sees a problem, it will disable the ESC. Your car’s throttle is controlled by the engine’s computer (PCM). There is a position sensor in the accelerator pedal, and a motor that controls the throttle for the engine.

If there is a problem with this system, the PCM will not know you are trying to accelerate. This system also controls the idle speed. Another possibility is an engine or sensor problem that will put the engine into "limp" mode. The engine will have reduced power until the problem is repaired. The only way to figure this out is to read the codes the PCM has stored. Then appropriate diagnostics can be performed. A qualified professional from YourMechanic can retrieve the codes and make the conduct proper tests to have the Check Engine Light and ESC Light resolved.