Q: overheating engine

asked by on August 16, 2017

i have a 2005 chevrolet equinox that has been overheatimg for months. i replaced the radiator earlier this year that fixed the problem for a month or so. earlier this week the thermostat was changed and more coolant was added but still overheats and today i got about a 1/4 of a mile from my house and it was blowing out white smoke from muffler while overheating and pulsating before turning off. i check the oil it has some white bacteria-like substance floating around and sticking.

You have a blown headgasket and the coolant is getting in to engine cylinders and into the lower part of the engine. You will need heads removed and get them checked for cracks and warpage. If you have excessive coolant in the lower part of the motor then you may have damaged the engine bearings since the coolant and water does not lubricate the bearings and they may get damaged.