Is the water pump internal,or external on a 2003 Mitsubi...

Q: Is the water pump internal,or external on a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander

asked by on February 22, 2017

Is the water pump on a Mitsubishi outlander internal or external. 2003

Hi there - the water pump on this model is on the external face of the engine block, as are most water pumps. However, it is "behind" the timing belt components, which must be removed to change the water pump. On engines with this arrangement, it is generally a good idea to replace both water pump and timing belt components at the same time, since they have similar service intervals, and the labor activities and labor time are pretty-much the same for both. For assistance, I recommend a water pump replacement and a timing belt replacement performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.