Q: Sedan vs Hatchback parts

Was wondering if the headlights, bumper reinforcement and radiator support were the same on both the Mazda 3 hatchback and sedan. I'm buying 2007 Hatchback parts for a 2008 Sedan.

Matching parts in this manner can be problematic and is really best suited for a parts store that specializes in body parts. Wrecking yards often have these kinds of parts in stock and should be able to cross reference part numbers. If the part numbers are the same, in theory they should fit. Do a Google search for your area to find a parts store that specializes in body parts.

The best parts store would be one that sells a lot of Mazda parts. Even the best part store will find cross referencing for this sort of work to be troublesome if they are not familiar with Mazda’s. I’d like to be able to say knowing if these will swap will be easy, but that is often not the case when attempting to interchange parts.

That being said, you have a couple of variations that could cause some trouble. The years are different and the bodies are different. Ideally, a direct comparison of the parts is the only way to be sure. Parts computer systems are far from perfect let alone what happens if these two vehicles were built in two different assembly plants. The same car built in different assembly plants can have two different part numbers.

Good luck. I recommend writing down the VIN, the production date, whether it has California emissions and the year of the car as stated on the emissions decal under the hood.

3. Sedan vs Hatchback parts