Q: Speedometer doesn't work.

asked by on February 04, 2018

2003 santa fe gls 2.7 speedometer doesn't work. Replaced input and output speed sensors, VSS, & cluster. Checked blue, green, and black wires to VSS. All are functional. Even ran a direct ground to black just in case. Checked all fuses under hood and in dash under drivers side. Cruise also does not work.

The signal output of the vehicle speed sensor should be confirmed on a scan tool. There is a plastic gear on the end of the sensor (sold separate from the sensor) and that plastic gear is turned by the transmission. Sometimes the plastic gear disintegrates and of course if that happens there will be no sensor output and no speedometer reading. If you check the output, and waveform, of the speed sensor on a scan tool and it is normal (there is a stepped waveform that increases in frequency with vehicle speed), then the next step is to trace that output signal to find the interruption (or faulty module). The cruise control system relies on the VSS as well so the two issues (no speed read out and no cruise) could have a common cause. If you want a prompt resolution of this, the recommended service to request is an electrical component diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.