Q: Replaced chewed wires fixed the problem, but only for a little while.

A squirrel chewed some wires at the computer module attached to the fire wall. The warning light says electronic fuel control. I reattached the wires, and it worked for a while, but has now stopped working.

Hello, having damaged wiring can cause all kinds of issues, the only proper way to repair wiring is to cut off the damaged portion, strip the wiring, then solder the wiring together and use wiring shrink tubing to cover up the repair. Wire shrink tubing, when heated, shrinks around the wire repair and has glue inside to help keep out moisture and contaminants. Wiring when exposed or broken making contact with another wire or other object near by, can cause damage to the control unit, or device connected to the other end of the wire. If the wiring has not been repaired correctly, that needs to be done first before any other diagnosis can be performed. With the wiring repaired and a fault still present, a scanner should be connected to see what is causing the fault. You may need to enlist the aid of a mechanic for further diagnosis as needed.

3. Replaced chewed wires fixed the problem, but only for a little while.