Q: Brake light on with cruise control kicking off

I sometimes have a problem with the braking system in my car that randomly occurs. The dashboard shows brake light illuminated, which usually happens simultaneously with the kickoff of the cruise control. At that moment, the brake light turns off if I apply the brakes. I took it to a shop but they couldn't recreate the problem, so it still happens occasionally. What could cause this? I appreciate your help.

Hi there. Most of the time this is caused by a bad brake switch. When the switch does not work the computer cannot tell when you apply the brakes, which will affect the braking and cruise control systems. It may also be a speed sensor, but that will usually turn on the check engine light also. If you would like to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose this.

3. Brake light on with cruise control kicking off