Q: Alarm goes off when inserting key into ignition

The alarm/honk in my car goes off every time I put the key into the ignition and the car will not turn over. The battery was tested and it’s fine. But the car will only start if we jump-start it. Is this an alarm problem and if so, how do I disable it and fix this problem?

A: Hello. Even though the battery has been tes...

Hello. Even though the battery has been tested, there still may be a problem with the battery or alternator not charging properly if the car needs to be jump-started. The factory alarm is very hard to disable and shouldn’t be tampered with. I would suggest that you have the battery and charging system inspected by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, who will be able to pinpoint your problem.