Q: Whistling noise when shifting gears

After starting my car and start driving, it has a low whistling noise when it takes off. I can also hear it when I am shifting gears. The sound is like whistling plus the sound of a jet engine. It is not extremely loud, but very noticeable. In addition to this, each day the gas mileage in my car is growing worse. When I first purchased my car, it got 26 mpg and now a few weeks later it is reading 21 mpg. Please tell me what is wrong with my car and how to fix it. Thanks.

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1989 Buick Reatta. Your gas mileage will vary depending on what kind of driving you’re doing. It’s possible the first week you did mostly highway driving, while the second week you stayed mostly in town. As for the noise, I need more information. When does it happen and at what speeds? Where does it seem to be coming from? My best advice is to have your vehicle’s gas mileage and whistling noise inspected first hand by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic.