Q: Need to replace front left CV axle, do I need to replace the CV boot as well?

asked by on May 01, 2017

Recently purchased car from auction. Took vehicle in for state inspection. Was told the left CV axle needed to be replaced in order to pass inspection. Wondering if the CV boot needs to be replaced as well, or just the axle.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The damage done to the unit will dictate what exactly needs to be done. If the entire CV axle on one side or the other needs to be replaced, then the entire shaft is typically replaced at once, including the boots. If you need to replace part of the assembly, the boots are serviceable separately on a need be basis. In that case, you would need to know if you were replacing the inner (closest to the middle of the vehicle) or outer (closer to the tire) boot. Once you have made those determinations, corrective action can be taken. For more help with diagnostics or the repair, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.