Q: evap. purge solenoid valve?

an emission code was thrown. Diagnosis came up with gas cap or evap purge solenoid valve as causes. replaced gas cap and light came back on. now i think its the evap purge valve. How do you test the valve and replace if needed?

Hello, testing the EVAP purge solenoid can be relatively simple, with the right tools and knowledge. A technician such as those we have here will have the right tools, but I will provide you with the right knowledge. Testing the EVAP purge solenoid is best done by using the EVAP test port located near the firewall of the engine bay. It should have a green cap attached to it. A special adapter will be required to fit the port. Luckily the adapter should be available at your local auto parts store. A vacuum pump will also be needed. Connect the vacuum pump to the adapter and apply vacuum to the EVAP service port. When applying vacuum there should be no leakage present. If there is leakage that indicates a problem with the purge solenoid or you possibly have a cracked vacuum line.

If you by chance do not have the EVAP service port then you will have to test it manually. The EVAP purge solenoid is located inside of the passenger front inner fender well. You must remove the fender cover to test the purge solenoid. The purge solenoid should be fairly identifiable once the fender cover is removed. To remove the purge solenoid remove the two screws, disconnect the electrical connector and remove the two EVAP lines. Test the solenoid by using the vacuum

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr