Q: What makes the check engine light come on?

The other day when I was driving my 2012 Jeep Wrangler I noticed that the check engine light had turned on. This was worrying to me, as this vehicle is pretty new at only 16,000 miles. I parked it for a minute and when I started it back up the light had gone away. A day later the light was back and there was a ticking noise coming from the engine. I am worried that there is a problem with the head. Is there any reason for this in a new vehicle other than a defective part?

The drive complaint you described seems to be an engine misfire, which can be verified by scanning the cars computer for an error code. If you get a code P0300, P0302, P0304 or P0306 then Jeep has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 09-002-14 dated 12/15/2014. The TSB entails checking for the above codes and testing cylinder leakage. If it turns out to be a defective cylinder head, it will need to be replaced. Jeep has extended the warranty status on this complaint so the dealership should cover the repairs.

3. What makes the check engine light come on?