Sometimes when I have foot on break it releases puff of a...

Q: Sometimes when I have foot on break it releases puff of air-I hear it&feel it get hard.back to normal once driving. Vw 2005 Beetle

asked by on June 27, 2017

Sometimes when I keep my foot on the break, it suddenly releases a "pffffff" sound. New issue! (Cold dash light is on in am so I warm engine for 3mins & I naturally keep foot on brake.) I hear the puff of air releasing, and with that "pffffff" sound, the break petal becomes very stiff and hard. It moves itself up. But my breaks themselves are working just fine- none of the "need breaks replaced", according to my involved research. Get TERRIBLE gas mileage, stays in (automatic) 2nd gear A LOT when car is smooth sailing and even on flat roads. My idle speed, I guess? Esp after I go over a speed hump slowly, then press foot on gas, it skips 1st and 2nd feel. Are these two issues related? If not, please discuss the issue which needs IMMEDIATE attention 1st. So it's a problem due a puff of air coming UP thru the pedal, NOT down. When I break, there are ZERO signs of needing replacements. NOT squeaking at all nor any "loose" feeling, I'm able to stop perfectly fine. Help!!

The problem sounds like your brake booster is leaking vacuum and will need to be replaced. The brake booster helps you apply the brake and if it is leaking or the check valve that supplies vacuum to it is leaking then you could loose power brake assist. Have the brake booster system checked for problems as soon as possible.

Hi there. To be honest, it appears you’ve got multiple issues happening with your car, but possibly due to minor component problems. First off, without being there to test drive and listen to the brake noise, it’s very hard to tell you what could be causing this. On older cars, this type of noise was an indicator of a brake booster issue, but with ABS systems today, this is highly unlikely. However, one possibility would be a vacuum leak somewhere in the engine. This would explain the bad gas mileage and in many cases, the transmission shifting issues. Before attempting ANY repairs, I would strongly recommend having a professional mobile mechanic first come to your location to complete a car is making a noise inspection, to determine what’s causing the brake ’pfft’ noise issue - for safety purposes. During their inspection, they can also inspect the vehicle for other problems. This is the best way to determine what’s going on with your VW, reduce repair costs and ensure the right repairs are completed.