Q: After tune up, alternator ruined by oil leak

I went to a certified mechanic for a tune-up: brakes, power steering, spark plugs, engine mount, and tranny mount. After these things he explained that the alternator had gone out due to an oil leak from the power steering pump. So I had him replace that. When they finished and started my car, it began burning a 120v fuse. So next I go to an electrical mechanic and was told that the new alternator had a loose bolt and was not properly grounded. They fixed that. Car was performing excellently until 2 weeks later when I left my car with hazards on for over an hour. When I started the car, things were fine until I began to drive and I noticed the wipers independently ran one time, then the dash brake light came on. I checked the 120v fuse and it had burned. So back I went to the mechanic’s shop. He replaced the alternator, but now fuses are burning like an electric lighter. When my car turns on, it starts to burn the fuse. I can actually watch it turning red! There is a 13-14 volt charge from the alternator and this car is all electronic. Can you tell me what to do to permanently fix these problems?

Hello. The issue you are having is likely a ground wire fault that keeps blowing the fuse. Fuses blow when there is too much current for The ground circuit to release. Electricity is energy. Energy can’t be created or destroyed, only transferred. Being that the electrical current can’t release through the ground wire circuit, the electrical energy will transfer to thermal energy. Which is why you see the red glow. The whereabouts of the ground wire will have to be investigated in person. It sounds like the technician that is working on the car may not be fully repairing the problem. If you would like to have the car checked by another technician, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose any electrical issues and determine what should be done.

3. After tune up, alternator ruined by oil leak