Q: I put a new ignition switch in my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica but it still wont start, how do I program the ignition switch?

My car would not start, the light and everything came on but it would not crank so i put a ignition switch in but it still is doing the same thing, i was told the ignition switch had to be programed. How do u program the ignition switch?

Hello. If your vehicle is not cranking, then I would first verify that the starter and electrical system are functioning correctly. Aside from a bad ignition switch, a few common causes for a no crank condition are a faulty starter, starter solenoid, starter relay, or bad wiring. If you replaced the switch, and wish to program the new keys the procedure is as follows:

Note: You must have two valid keys to add a new key to the system.

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position for at least three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds. Then, Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.

2. Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the second key.

3. Insert the new key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will stop flashing. To indicate that programming is complete, the Vehicle Security Light will turn on again for seconds and then turn off.

The new key should now be programmed. The Remote Keyless Entry transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure. Repeat this procedure to program up to eight keys. If you are still having problems with this after you’ve replaced the key, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the cranking issue.

• I put a new ignition switch in my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica but it still wont start, how do I program the ignition switch?