Q: P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor A

My 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe is having transmission issues. It began with my speedo acting crazy when I was driving one evening. Soon my transmission started losing power. It would slip and just rev but the automatic clutch would engage and I could drive again. Eventually I had total loss of mobility. The transmission wouldn't engage. My slip and vdc lights were on. Service engine came on as well as a AT check light. Fast forward, my car was towed home. Now it is been over a month. I ran my code reader and got P0500 vehicle speed sensor A. Maybe this is just a generic code and not a vehicle specific code? I have searched far and wide on the internet and can't seem to find a part number for a vehicle speed sensor or a transmission speed sensor for the car. I have located a few sensors on the car that I thought could be the correct sensor but it seems they are only cam shaft position sensors. I'm kind of lost now.

Hi there, thanks for writing in.

The reason you are having issues finding the sensor is because the vehicle speed information for you model is sent from the Antilock Brake System module. You will need a higher end diagnostic scan tool to read this module and diagnose your problem. The G35 of that era has been known to have wiring issues to the module or bad modules. If you are unable to obtain a higher caliber diagnostic tool, or would like the issue professionally diagnosed for you, contact a qualified technician, such as one available from YourMechanic.

3. P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor A