Q: Am I safe to continue driving if my steering is off and check engine light is on?

My car is having a hard time with the steering wheel. I feel like it's hard to keep straight and the wheels of the car move harsh. My check engine light just came on.

A: When the steering is concerned, the issues ...

When the steering is concerned, the issues should be taken seriously. Driving without the assistance of power steering is very difficult if the steering fails. If going at high speeds you may not be able to correct in time to prevent accidents. The check engine light being on is going to make diagnosing the issue a lot easier for you. Have the vehicle scanned for the diagnostic troubleshooting codes that have triggered the light. Whatever these codes have in common, is likely the part that has failed. Are there any other issues going on with the vehicle at this time? You will want to keep those in mind as well in case they are related to the main issue. Please have this inspected ASAP.