Q: Does the timing chain need to be replaced when fixing a blown head gasket

My car was diagnosed as having a blown head gasket. The head was taken to a machine shop and found to be warped. Now the mechanic is putting the engine back together and he tells me I need a new timing chain. I just want to know if a new timing chain is standard on this type of job.

Hi there. Anytime you replace the cylinder heads, and internal engine components, it is highly recommended to ensure they connect correctly with lower engine components; such as the crankshaft. This is the job of the timing chain. It’s also possible that the chain may have been damaged during the overheating situation that warped the cylinder head. In this case, I believe the mechanics advice is warranted.

3. Does the timing chain need to be replaced when fixing a blown head gasket