Brakes went out in car h4-2.5l brake system oxygen sensor...

Q: Brakes went out in car

asked by on February 08, 2016

While driving, I had to press the brake pedal to the floor to get the car to stop. Upon checking, I could see that the reservoir was empty, so I added fluid to the max line. At first, the brakes performed fine while driving, but eventually I was having to press the brake pedal all the way to the floor again, the brake light was on, and I could hear something dragging on the roadway. I could also see brake fluid leaking out of the car when I stopped, and upon checking the reservoir again, could see that the brake fluid was leaking out. My check engine light is also on, and the code was for a faulty O2 sensor. I will be getting another car in a few months and was wondering if it is worth fixing this car in the meantime, or should I just get a cheap used car to last me until then?

Hello, since you have a brake fluid leak, this needs to be repaired to make the car safe to drive. I would recommend not driving the car until this is fixed. You state that you hear something dragging, this should also be looked at sooner than later. For the Check Engine Light, that would be the last thing to get fixed, the brakes should be first.

For your question about repairing this car vs. buying a cheaper used car, I would recommend fixing your current car. A cheap used car may have many issues of its own. If you get the brake fixed and repair what is dragging, this vehicle should get you around for a while. You will need the aid of a mechanic to inspect the brake system and see what is dragging so you can get your car back on the road.