Q: Grinding and stuttering while accelerating

asked by on August 03, 2017

I just bought my car a couple weeks ago from my sister and brother in law. It makes a grinding noise when I accelerate as well as stutters from time to time during acceleration. My sister did mention that the vacuum lines need to be replaced after having a diagnostic done when the check engine was on. The battery was recently replaced and the check engine light is now off. But I'm hearing the sounds I mentioned above. Any idea would these could be?

The grinding noise could originate in the drive train, including wheel bearings, or could even be in an accessory drive. From your description, the noise is probably distinct enough that a certified mechanic could pinpoint the origin upon inspection. If you request a vehicle noise diagnostic, the responding certified mechanic will definitely find the origin of the noise.

Inconsistent or slow acceleration has a variety of causes. Fuel injectors can become clogged over time as the tiny passages become clogged. When an injector is clogged it can degrade the performance of the vehicle and the car may accelerate slowly or feel that it does not have enough power. Other symptoms include a rough idle, a vehicle that is hard to start and a decrease in fuel efficiency. A defective fuel pump will not supply enough fuel to the injectors. This can cause the vehicle to accelerate slowly, or even sputter and stall, especially at high speeds. A clogged fuel filter can also restrict the amount of fuel that reaches the injectors. A dirty airflow sensor can cause the wrong data to be be sent to the computer. A slow accelerating car is the result of this incorrect data. It may also trigger the Check Engine Light. Other causes of poor acceleration are vacuum leaks, a defective throttle position sensor and a defective idle air control valve. To get the underlying cause of the problem pinpointed and resolved, you can request an engine diagnostic for slow acceleration and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr