Q: Mass Air flow sensor cleaning

asked by on August 11, 2017

Hello I want to clean my mass air flow sensor..its not defective but may be dirty..I do live in a dusty area..my question is I don't have maf cleaning spray..is it OK to clean it with regular carburetor cleaner?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The mass air flow sensor should not be cleaned with carburetor cleaner. Carb cleaner leaves an oily type residue that is not good for the electronics within the MAF sensor. Use the appropriately designed mass airflow sensor cleaner, or carefully remove the electronics from the housing and clean them separately. In this case, you still want to be incredibly careful, and may want to consider using an alcohol or electronic cleaner of some sort. For help replacing a broken sensor, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.