Q: My boy accidentally hooked battery cables up wrong on his truck, and now it's got white smoke that smell like gas coming out.

asked by on February 04, 2017

Could it be a weak fuel pump

My car has an automatic transmission. I have replaced spark plugs, wires, fuel injectors, and IAC

When hooking up the battery cables backwards, the ground became the hot and the hot became the ground. Most likely the computer (ECM) could have failed and the fuel pump may have burned up. I recommend checking all of the electrical circuits in the vehicle for any burned wires and blown fuses.

If the engine starts and runs, then the ECM maybe okay. If you need further assistance with the fuel smell, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.