Q: Misfires with scoring on inside of cylinder 1

My first cylinder keeps eating sparking plugs and throwing misfire codes. I put a scope in there and found scoring on the cylinder walls. It looks like it might have had a leaking head gasket. It runs okay once the built up coolant burns up. Do you think I should put in a new head gasket, or get a re-manufactured engine? Any other advice?

Hello, I would not recommend that you replace only the head gasket, because of the scoring on the cylinder walls that will still remain. This could lead to a loss of compression over time and cause the engine to run poorly and lose power. For this reason, it would be best to replace the engine.

Your options when replacing an engine are getting one that is remanufactured or getting a used engine from a salvage company that is in good condition. Although a used engine will be less expensive, there is always a greater risk of having other issues or that the used engine will fail prematurely. A remanufactured engine is more expensive but is generally of better quality.