Q: Engine stops and jerks while driving

The engine in my car occasionally stops for a second. If I keep pressing the gas the engine usually resumes normal operation, but the car will jerk violently. If I am idle or at low speed the engine will cut off completely. The car will crank back up with no problems. The issue happens randomly. It has been happening more and more as time goes on. It does it almost every day now at least once. The only code the car computer gives me is evap valve stuck closed. I honestly do not know what could be causing the problem. I keep oil in the car and it has a new battery. It has been doing this since I got it a couple months ago. I started as the car would splutter out at idle sometimes and it has escalated to this. Thank you for your help.

Hi There, Your car has a small purge valve called a purge solenoid in the Evaporative Emissions system that controls the venting of fumes from the fuel tank as these fumes build up inside, particularly when you are refueling the car with gas. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere. The EVAP system collects and temporarily stores the fuel vapors in the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is filled with activated carbon pellets that can absorb the fuel vapors. When the engine is running, the fuel vapors are purged from the canister and burned in the engine. The vent control valve (solenoid) controls the flow of outside air in and out of the charcoal canister. The vent valve is controlled by the engine computer (PCM). Normally the vent valve is open. It closes when the engine computer tests the EVAP system for leaks. If a leak in the EVAP system is detected, the Check Engine light will illuminate on the dash and the trouble code related to the problem will be stored in the engine computer. When an air leak is present in the EVAP system, the MAP sensor will not be able to determine the air density, and the MAF sensor will not be able to determine the volume of air, entering the engine correctly. This will lead to an over fueling situation or an under fueling situation depending on the size of the air leak and engine operating speeds and load. This may eventually lead to catalytic converter problems as well as misfiring problems. I would recommend having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Engine stops and jerks while driving