Q: Why does the car start but shut back off? What do I need to do?

Why does the car start but shut back off? What do I need to do? My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to try to help.

I’m curious to know if other symptoms are present before isolating what’s going on. The truck shutting off can happen for a variety of reasons. When this happens you should have a check engine light on which will cause the computer to register some trouble codes.

I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to diagnose the issue with a scanning tool which will allow for downloading those codes. This will help to determine what the cause of the problem is, and we can go from there about how to fix it.

3. Why does the car start but shut back off? What do I need to do?