Q: Stablity control warning light on constantly

asked by on November 06, 2015

Sometimes I love technology and sometimes it is just plain annoying. My 2011 GMC Terrain has an annoying quirk where the stability control light will pop on and then the whole car will lose power until it can’t stay at highway speed. Darn thing having issues at 58,000 miles. Turned the car off and waited a minute and it started up right as rain. What is the issue here? Something in the computer?

I agree that technology breeds a love and hate relationship, my advice is to concentrate on the loving and leave the hate behind. The issue with your vehicle may be a somewhat straightforward repair. GMC is aware of a corrosion issue in the X411 connector, under the truck near the gas tank. There are several Technical Service Bulletins (TSB), the most recent to date is TSB PIT5427. This helps mechanics narrow down the possibilities and the fix for it is to replace the affected terminals in that connector. Corrosion issues can be a true headache for us professionals, as the issue will come and go, making diagnosis more difficult. But again technology can be used to fix technology, and YourMechanic has access to this tech info!

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr