Q: Metal Shavings In Engine From Turbo

I took my subaru to a dealer and they quoted me 10k to replace my motor. Yeah, no thank you. They said that there were metallic shavings in my engine and my oil as well. I was wondering if i stripped the engine down to the block and cleaned it out, then also replace the oil pan and radiator...would that be a possible fix?

When it comes to metal shavings in the engine, you have to understand that those shavings will go everywhere. They will get between moving parts and cause further damage. They can get into the rings on the pistons and score the cylinder walls, get between the bearings and the crankshaft, or camshaft, and cause the bearings to fail, or can get into the oil pump and clog it up so that it is no longer able to circulate the oil through the engine. The shavings will also clog up the oil passages inside the engine and stop oil flow. In order to ensure you are getting all of the shavings out of the engine, it would need to be completely stripped down, and basically have a rebuild done. Couple that with the mileage that you’ve listed, it would be highly recommended to have the engine rebuilt, or replaced, at this point. Without doing a complete tear down and cleaning, it would be a real gamble, not only on how much damage has already been done, but as to whether you would be able to get enough of the metal shavings out that it wouldn’t interfere with the function of the components. I understand that engine repairs like this are costly. Another route you may look into is having someone install a used engine. It can be much more economical, and some repair shops will even offer a modest warranty to ensure that the engine being installed is not bad. If you feel you could use a hand with the repairs, contact a certified repair technician, like the ones available at YourMechanic.com.