Q: I have an Mercury Sable 2001 and when I put my car in reverse it goes forward. I have a leak but I don’t know where it’s coming

When I put my car in reverse it goes forward like if I was putting it in drive. Last night when I put it in drive it went reverse. What is the reason?

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Assuming the vehicle has an automatic transmission, there is a park or neutral switch on the transmission that impacts the functioning of the shift solenoids within the transmission. When this is not working properly, this may cause the vehicle to no move properly when shifting into gear as you describe. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect the vehicle.