Q: 2001 Chevy s-10 truck that won't start. Lights come on but when I turn the ignition there is no noise ( grinding, clicking )

asked by on May 07, 2017

When I try to start truck, lights come on, but won't start. No clicking or grinding noise, just silent. Got it to start one time and started and ran fine. But now won't start at all. No warning or problems prior.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle depends on two main components for starting. Considering the starter motor is not functioning at all, you either do not have power going to it, or the motor has failed and is not using the power. There are several ways to handle this situation. You can have the starter and the battery tested at your local automotive parts store if you remove them both from the vehicle. Secondly, you can test at the starter for a proper power supply with a voltmeter. Anything less than 10 volts means that you have a weak connection due to a bad wire, or the battery is dead. If your starter is receiving full battery power (12 volts), then the starter may have failed. Only further testing will tell. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.