Q: Door handle broke off when I pulled on it normally

It was super embarrassing when I walked out to my little econobox, my 2008 Nissan Versa, and the door handle literally broke off in my hand and the door stayed shut. It was pretty funny, I do admit, but this car only has 60,000 miles on it and I need it to last. Is this a sign that it is falling apart already?

The door handles on most of the cars and trucks built in the last 8 to 10 years have plastic inside and outside door handles. For some reason, the plastic does not hold up very well after 3 or 4 years. Some manufacturers made their handles out of thinner plastic than other manufacturers. These thinner handles have a higher failure rate. The aftermarket handle replacements, and some factory replacements, might offer better quality. My recommendation is to contact a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to get the handle replaced with a high quality replacement.

3. Door handle broke off when I pulled on it normally