Q: Low Idle and stalling when breaking

I previously had low idling issues and replaced the idle air control valve for about a month it was okay and then the problem came back. When it idles it stays at about 750 rpms. Putting it into drive causes the RPM's to lower to about 500 and braking sometimes causes it to stall.

A: Hello there, many common faults will cause ...

Hello there, many common faults will cause your 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee to die when the vehicle comes to a stop and have a low idle. You have done great in replacing the idle air valve as this is a common cause. There are a few other potential faults such as a clogged EGR valve, vacuum leak, MAF sensor, Oxygen sensor, fuel pump, or the torque converter. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your vehicle dies when coming to a stop making any repairs required.