Timing belt tensioner mitsubishi 2001 v6-3.0l drive belts...

Q: Timing belt tensioner

asked by on August 02, 2017

Hi,

I will have a service scheduled with yourmechanic and i will provide by myself the parts. I will replace the crankshaft gear. They told me they will need a belt tensioner as well. Is the belt tensioner the pulley or it is a different thing? I am confused.

Thanks

There is a belt tensioner for the timing belt, and there is a belt tensioner for the serpentine belt. They are both important and at 15000 miles, you may want to replace both. However, the timing belt tensioner is critical and must be replaced if you are doing a timing belt replacement. If you are buying your own parts, your parts retailer should not have any trouble providing you with both items.